From 1808, travellers disembarking from ships at Cape Town’s Castle stayed at the Perseverance Tavern in Slave’s
Walk (now Buitenkant Street).
Many notable Cape luminaries became “Persies” regulars. These include Cecil John Rhodes, numerous
politicians, academics, artists, sports- and businesspeople, European expatriates and colourful District 6 personalities.
The oldest vine in South Africa (planted in the 1830's - predating the Drostdy-vine in Graaf-Reinet by at least 30 years)
grew in the garden of the Perseverance until the early 1990's. We hope to plant a cutting from the original cultivar
in the near future.
In 1836 Persies received its official wine and malt license. Ohlsson’s Breweries (the forerunner of South
African Breweries) owned Persies from the turn of the 20th Century until 1952.
A German publication included Persies as one of the pubs of the world and in 1985 it won the first Pub of the Year
award from 170 Western Cape entrants.
Persies has the Cape’s earliest electric street lamps and historic portraits of the Mother city on
its walls. An original Tavern menu is one of the exhibits.
Present owner Yorkshireman Ian Sutcliffe has tastefully restored Persies trying to reflect both
the taverns history and old world charm.
Traditional pub food is served from 12 noon till 10.00 pm daily mon - sat.
The menu reflects the rich diversity of the area from bangers & mash to espetado,
eisbein and much more.